Ladies of the Park (Les dames du Bois de Boulogne)
Dir: Robert Bresson
France, 1945, 83min, 35mm
Cast: Paul Bernard, María Casares, Elina Labourdette
Before Bresson gave up on professionals, he created one last exquisite work of the heart, turning from the nuns of Angels of Sin to the prostitutes of Paris. Here, the young and poor Agnès becomes the pawn in a complex scheme of revenge that unites and divides former lovers Jean and Hélène at cruel length. Bresson poses his central and powerful questions not only about the meanings of sin but also about the possibilities of forgiveness and redemption, life and death.
Filmmakers on Bresson_Michelangelo Antonioni, From Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
Filmmakers on Bresson_Francois Truffaut_Ladies of the Park, From Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.