The Boy and the Beast (Bakemono no Ko)
Dir: Mamoru Hosoda
Japan, 2015, 120min, DCP
Voice Cast: Yakusho Koji, Miyazaki Aoi, Sometani Shōta
Accidentally ventures into the Beast Kingdom, the lonely boy Kyuta is taken in as an apprentice by the powerful but hotheaded warrior beast Kumatetsu. Despite their constant strife, the fiercely pair soon develop a father-son relationship, and unite in the fight against a monster who devastates the human world. In an impressive mix of hand-drawn and CGI animation, Hosoda’s action-adventure boosts the wildest imagination with his fantastic world of beast and his versatility of playful fights, and most captivatingly, an unsentimental love of surrogate familial communities.
2016 Japan Academy Film Prize, Best Animation Film
2015 San Sebastián International Film Festival, Golden Seashell Nominee
19.8.2018 (SUN): Master Class with director Mamoru Hosoda
Venue: Tai Kwun JC Cube
Moderator: Toe Yuen
Admission by ticket only
Conducted in Cantonese and Japanese
Mirai of the Future The World of Mamoru Hosoda
Tickets available at screening venue on screening date 17/08/2018 (Fri)
Full House 19/08/2018 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.