Suddenly, Last Summer
Dir: Joseph L. Mankiewicz
UK/USA, 1959, English, 114min, DCP
Cast: Elizabeth Taylor, Katharine Hepburn, Montgomery Clift
Tennessee Williams’ unfathomable one-act, grotesque psychodrama reached its Gothic heights in this Joseph L. Mankiewicz’s adaptation. Unfolded with a striking monologue by Katharine Hepburn, a filthy-rich southern matron who entices a surgeon to lobotomise her hysterical niece, the melodramatic shocker gradually reveals the truth of her deceased son’s proclivities as the psychiatrist tries to probe his patient’s trauma. With its explicit ambiguity that slyly made it past the Production Code, Mankiewicz gets close to visually represent the forbidden, daringly manifested in Elizabeth Taylor’s climactic outcry that heralds beyond-thepale revelations of homosexuality, incest and cannibalism.
Golden Globe Awards: Best Actress (Drama)
5/6 (Sat): Film talk with Bobby Kwok
The Golden Age
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.