My Uncle (Mon Oncle)
Dir: Jacques Tati
France／Italy, 1958, French, 116 min, DCP
Cast: Jacques Tati, Jean-Pierre Zola, Adrienne Servantie
The charm of the old neighborhood is juxtaposed with the sterility of the modern suburbs in Tati’s classic comedy. The Arpels wish to convert the ill-adapted Hulot to modern bourgeois ways, but their son Gerard would rather spend time with “mon oncle” and the ragamuffins pulling pranks in the traditional quartier. A wonder of production design that satirizes the modernist architecture and gadget-obsessed consumerist culture of France’s postwar economic boom, My Uncle also showcases Tati’s unique cinematic style, in which sound plays an important role in contributing to the film’s humor. An all-time favorite of David Lynch, Wes Anderson, and Aki Kaurismäki.
Cannes Film Festival: Jury Special Prize
Academy Awards: Best Foreign Language Film
3/11 (SUN): Seminar with Derek Lam and Ernest Chan
TASCHEN will offer three newly released “Jacques Tati. The Complete Works” box sets (worth HK$2,000) in three selected Cine Fan screenings of “The Logic of Illusion: Jacques Tati” to lovers of Jacques Tati. The more screenings you watch, the higher the chance!
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.