My Left Foot
Dir: Jim Sheridan
Ireland/UK, 1989, 103min, HD Digital
Cast: Daniel Day-Lewis, Brenda Fricker, Ray McAnally
Born with cerebral palsy, Christy Brown has his entire body in revolt against him, except his left foot. With that foot he learned to paint and essentially communicate, transcended his disability and lived a full life as a renowned painter and novelist. Jim Sheridan’s film of Christy’s life, based on his autobiography, is more attuned to the artist’s hardship living with devastating mental afflictions and is sensitive to his feelings, putting his camera on the same level as his hero. Daniel Day-Lewis injects his Christy with strength and passion, portraying a brilliant yet frustrated mind with a delicate soul struggling for love and recognition. During the shoot, he stayed in character at all times, never leaving his wheelchair. His exquisite method acting earned him the first Academy Award for Best Actor.
1989 New York Film Critics Circle Awards, Best Film and Best Actor
1990 Academy Awards, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress
10/06/2017 (Sat): Post-screening talk with Lam Kam-po
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.