Dir: Kurosawa Akira
Japan, 1980, 180min, DCP
Cast: Nakadai Tatsuya, Yamazaki Tsutomu, Hagiwara Kenichi, Nezu Jinpachi
Kurosawa Akira’s return to historical explorations of Japanese society after cool reception to his searing Dodes’ka-den (1970). With the support of Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas, and investment from 20th Century Fox, Kurosawa created a drama of identities, loyalties and fatal choices. The “shadow warrior” (kagemusha) is a petty thief drafted as a double for the feudal warlord Shingen; when the latter is fatally wounded, the thief increasingly assumes the power and actions of the chief while Shingen’s son and heir chafes under this imposed control, foreshadowing betrayals and destruction ahead. Even when given the opportunity to depict pageantry and warfare in glorious Eastmancolor, Kurosawa did not lose sight of the humanity – faces, doubts, dreams – that set his work apart.
1980 Cannes Film Festival, Palme d’Or
1981 Blue Ribbon Awards, Best Film, Best Actor and Best New Actor
18.8.2018(SAT): Post-screening talk with Long Tin
Full House 18/08/2018 (Sat)
Full House 25/08/2018 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.