Gang of Four
Dir: Jacques Rivette
France, 1988, 155min, 35mm
Cast: Bulle Ogier, Benoît Régent, Fejria Deliba
Acting students Claude, Anna, Joyce and Cecile study under the enigmatic Constance Dumas (Bulle Ogier) in her much soughtafter, women-only theatre class. The aspiring actresses share a house in the outer suburbs; when Cecile moves out, a fellow student, Lucia, takes her room. Soon, a mysterious man – who may either be a detective or a criminal – begins to approach each housemate under different pretenses, seeking out Cecile’s whereabouts and eventually infiltrating their house…Rivette again muses on the dubious interstices between acting and ‘real life’ in this film – where women contend with a masculine intrusion (in more ways than one), rehearsals are aptly more than just role-playing, and the truth may lie somewhere between life and the stage.
1989 Berlin International Film Festival, FIPRESCI Prize and Honorable Mention
Package Discount on Joan the Maid: The Battles, Joan the Maid: The Prisons and Gang of Four: 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets of two of the films, 35% discount to each purchase of standard tickets of all three films
The Labyrinth of Mystery – Jacques Rivette
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.