Around a Small Mountain (36 vues du Pic Saint Loup)
Dir: Jacques Rivette
France/Italy, 2009, 84 mins, 35mm
Cast: Jane Birkin, Sergio Castellitto
Jacques Rivette’s final film, imbued with wisdom and reflection that come together in the mellow world of a small European travelling circus, where two lonely people meet, learn, touch. Kate (played by the ever fascinating Jane Birkin) had run away from her father’s circus, where her lover – and perhaps love itself – had died years before. The wealthy but aimless Vittorio (Sergio Castellitto) meets her by accident and yet finds himself drawn in by this woman and this world, as he slowly draws her out of the prison she has imposed. Not a mere romance, but a process of exploration and healing between two mature, knowledgeable people, handled with Rivette’s exquisite eye and awareness, 50 years after Paris Belongs to Us .
2009 Venice Film Festival, In Competition
19/1/2018 (Fri): Post-screening talk with Geoffrey Wong
Package Discount: 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets of both Don’t Touch the Axe and Around a Small Mountain.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.