Historie(s) of Cinema: 4A + 4B (Histoire(s) du cinéma: 4A + 4B)
Dir: Jean-Luc Godard
France, 1998, French, 65 min, DCP
The Control of the umiverse + The Signs Among Us (Le contrôle de l’univers + Les signes parmi nous)
Contemplating the power cinema holds over captive spectators, Godard famously declares: “Hitchcock succeeded where Alexander, Julius Caesar, and Napoleon failed: in taking control of the universe.” Paradoxically, a moment of profound doubt from one of the medium’s truest believers. The final episode – on cinema’s “saturation of magnificent signs” – opens with a consideration of love and ends with a poetic envoi inspired by Borges likening films to dreams. The title comes from a Charles-Ferdinand Ramuz’s novel Godard has long wanted to adapt that suggests to him the nature of cinema.
Honorary César, César Awards, France (for Historie(s) of Cinema)
27/12 (FRI): Lecture with Film Critic Long Tin. Approximately 1 hour, conducted in Cantonese. Audience who attends the course is eligible for a complimentary copy of Godard, Film, History (Chinese version only)
Package Discount : 25% discount to each purchase of 2 or above standard tickets to the film course. 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets to ALL six film course sessions.
Godard, Film, History
Door Tickets Available at the Venue on Screening Date 27/12/2019 (Fri)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- EMP Cinemas iSQUARE (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- CINE FAN ONLINE
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.