Dir: Woody Allen
USA, 1983, 79 mins, 35mm
Cast: Woody Allen, Mia Farrow, Patrick Horgan
Woody Allen plays Leonard Zelig in a mock-documentary about an eccentric (and fictitious) American character from the 1920s. Zelig is a misfit with a severe psychological and physiological disorder: in order to be liked and fit into a social group, Zelig is able to assume the physical appearance (and language abilities) of anyone he stands next to. Using ingenious technology, Allen inserts himself into actual black-and-white newsreel footage from the period to chronicle the rise and fall of this “human chameleon” – a man who becomes an instant celebrity, rubs elbows with prominent figures of the era, and falls in love with his psychiatrist (Mia Farrow). This compact comedy – punctuated with Allen’s usual one-liners – is brief in length but long on ideas, pulling in observations on politics, philosophy, art, and – of course – relationships.
#58 in BBC’s 100 Greatest Comedies of All Time -2017
4/11/2017 (Sat): Post-screening talk with Geoffrey Wong
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.