Woman of the Lake (Onna no mizûmi)
Dir: Yoshida Yoshishige
Japan, 1966, Japanese, 102min, 35mm, English subtitle
Cast: Okada Mariko, Ashida Shinsuke, Hayakawa Tamotsu
Kawabata’s impressionistic text is transformed into a profoundly sensual film with gorgeous aesthetic and enigmatic emotion that feels like Antonioni’s L’Avventura (1960). In a story of bewilderment and fascination, a married woman, fearing that her affair will be exposed after her naked photos are stolen by a mysterious stalker, is forced to confront her bondage to men. A fractured and obscure narrative filmed with striking photography, Yoshida’s dazzling direction and his wife Okada’s incredible beauty combine to captivating effect.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.