With Beauty and Sorrow (Utsukushisa to kanashimi to)
Dir: Shinoda Masahiro
Japan, 1965, Japanese, 104min, 35mm, English subtitle
Cast: Yachigusa Kaoru, Kaga Mariko, Yamamura So
Shinoda’s consummate visual style allies with Kawabata’s poetic, subtly-shaded prose work to examine the romantic tragedy of pain, jealousy and obsession. Exquisite mise-en-scène and color cinematography unfolds an intertwined melodrama about a young beautiful student and lesbian lover of a famous painter seeking revenge against her mentor’s ex-lover – a married novelist who impregnated and abandoned her two decades ago. A nostalgic claustrophobia that traps the characters, traumatized by the fiery determination to destroy all in a quest for self-possession.
Asia-Pacific Film Festival: Best Supporting Actress
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.