Wilderness: Part One
Dir: Kishi Yoshiyuki
Japan, 2017, 157min, DCP
Cast: Suda Masaki, Yang Ik-june, Kinoshita Akari
Presented in two separate parts, Wilderness should be regarded as a single 5-hour cinematic experience, with each half proving wholly dependent upon the other. Adapted from the novel by Terayama Shuji, it tells the story of two young men, struggling to define themselves in a near-future Japan, where poverty and unemployment are rampant. Shinji, a street thug fresh out of prison, and the introverted, persecuted Kenji, both gravitate towards the same boxing gym, as a means of dispersing years of pent-up aggression. Though nominally set in 2021, director Kishi Yoshiyuki addresses many socio-economic frustrations facing the people of Japan today. The result is an intimate epic told on a grand canvas, an emotionally-charged story of hope, determination and kinship between two damaged and lonely souls.
2017 #3 in Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
2017 Kinema Junpo Awards, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor
Package Booking Discount: 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets for 2 or more screenings of Wilderness: Part One & Part Two.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.