Wild Strawberries (Smultronstället)
Dir: Ingmar Bergman
Sweden, 1957, 91min, DCP
Cast: Victor Sjöström, Bibi Andersson, Gunnar Björnstrand
An old hearse approaching. A coffin falls out. Nightmares throw light on unconscious existence of Professor Borg (Victor Sjöström in a transcendent performance), as he travels with his daughter-in-law to receive an honorary doctorate. Through magnificent juxtapositions, Bergman shows the past intruding on the present, dreams punctuating reality, as the elderly professor comes to terms with the regrets and sorrows of his emotionally constrained life. One of Bergman’s most elegiac and humane classics, offering reconciliation and redemption in a reflection on the roads taken – and ultimately, there’s peace on the other side.
1958 Berlin International Film Festival, Golden Bear for Best Film and FIPRESCI Prize (for Victor Sjöström)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.