Wife! Be Like a Rose! (Tsuma yo bara no yo ni)
Dir: Naruse Mikio
Japan, 1935, 74min, DCP
Cast: Maruyama Sadao, Ito Tomoko, Chiba Sachiko, Hanabusa Yuriko
Hoping to reunite her estranged gold-prospecting father with her poet mother, Kimiko (played by Chiba Sachiko, Naruse’s then fiancée) sets out to reclaim her father (Maruyama Sadao) from his mountain-village home, where he has lived with his ex-geisha mistress and their children for many years. Wife! reveals Naruse’s knack for subtle humor, despite the film’s sobering revelations about family, class, and gender roles in interwar Japan. Deemed “one of the triumphs of Japanese sound film” by Donald Richie, the film was the first Japanese talkie released in the West.
1935 #1 in Kinema Junpo’s Top 10
16.11.2018(FRI): Lecture with Fiona Law
Conducted in Cantonese
Package Discount for “Naruse Mikio: Floating, Drifting, Meandering”
– 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets to ALL 6 sessions, and get a free copy of Naruse Mikio, 110th Anniversary catalogue*; or
– 20% discount to each purchase of 2 or above standard tickets to difference sessions.
* Audience MUST present ALL 6 original tickets of “Naruse Mikio: Floating, Drifting, Meandering” screenings for the catalogue redemption on-site 30 minutes prior to the screening.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.