When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (Onna ga kaidan o agaru toki)
Dir: Naruse Mikio
Japan, 1960, 111min, DCP
Cast: Takamine Hideko, Mori Masayuki, Nakadai Tatsuya, Dan Reiko
Naruse’s recurrent themes of feminine perseverance and life’s uncertainties culminate in arguably his most exquisite film. Set in Ginza’s bustling alleyways, the film follows young widow Keiko (Takamine Hideko), a senior bar hostess, as she attempts to remain resilient in the face of financial difficulty, a self-serving family and a series of devastating betrayals. Although caught between traditional and modern ideals, Keiko never fails to maintain an appearance of calm determination under great personal suffering. In portraying her internal travails through everyday events, this is an ultimate tribute to the “consummate Naruse heroine” (Judy Bloch).
7.12.2018(FRI): Lecture with Kiki FUNG
Conducted in Cantonese
The Comings and Goings of Mikio Naruse by Adrian Martin (August 2007)
Package Discount for “Naruse Mikio: Floating, Drifting, Meandering”
– 30% discount to each purchase of standard tickets to ALL 6 sessions, and get a free copy of Naruse Mikio, 110th Anniversary catalogue*; or
– 20% discount to each purchase of 2 or above standard tickets to difference sessions.
* Audience MUST present ALL 6 original tickets of “Naruse Mikio: Floating, Drifting, Meandering” screenings for the catalogue redemption on-site 30 minutes prior to the screening.
Naruse Mikio: Floating, Drifting, Meandering
Full House 07/12/2018 (Fri)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.