We are X
Dir: Stephen Kijak
USA/UK/Japan, 2016, 93min
The story of Japanese heavy metal band X Japan is almost too outrageous to be believed. Experiencing unprecedented success in their native country since the early 1980s, the group pioneered the glam-rock “Visual Kei” style, but external forces conspired to work against them. After suffering breakdowns, suicides and even a brainwashing cult, the group ultimately disbanded. Director Stephen
Kijak tells the story of this unique musical phenomenon on the eve of a long-awaited reunion concert at Madison Square Garden in 2014, focusing specifically on the fragile figure of drummer Yoshiki, X Japan’s primary creative force. Still haunted by the death of his father, and sporting a neck brace due to decades of hardcore head-banging, Yoshiki makes for a curious and captivating subject for this
incredible rock ‘n’ roll saga.
2016 Sundance Film Festival
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.