Up, Down, Fragile
Dir: Jacques Rivette
France, 1995, 169 mins, 35mm
Cast: Marianne Denicourt, Nathalie Richard, Laurence Côte, Anna Karina
Rivette’s charming tribute to MGM’s lowbudget musicals of the 1950s infuses itself in an essence of the musical genre, all while flouting its expectations. Set in Paris – the “nexus of magical encounters” (Jonathan Rosenbaum) – Up, Down, Fragile centers on three women: Ninon, a working-class girl taking up a job as a moped-riding messenger; Louise, an upper-class woman finding her bearings after a five-year coma; and Ida, a librarian who seeks her birth mother via a halfremembered tune. Via impromptu intersections and seemingly random tangents, the characters interact, dance and sing – blurring the lines between reality and fantasy, and between actual sets and real locations. As in other Rivette films, the actresses created their own characters, and here, also wrote some of the songs.
12/11/2017 (Sun): Post-screening talk with William Lau
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.