Two Weeks in Another Town
Dir: Vincente Minnelli
USA, 1962, English, 107min, DCP
Cast: Kirk Douglas, Edward G. Robinson, Cyd Charisse
Tensions mount between a has-been Hollywood director (Edward G. Robinson) and his washed-up actor partner (Kirk Douglas), even as destructive relationships and a philistine producer disrupt their shoot at Rome’s Cinecittà. Classical Hollywood was history when Vincente Minnelli reunited with The Bad and the Beautiful’s talent for another behind-the-scenes look at moviemaking. The European art film was on the rise, and Minnelli responds here to La Dolce Vita while anticipating Jean-Luc Godard’s Contempt. The film gives the melodrama’s psychosexual aspect a fever-pitch intensity that nears hysteria at its climax, pushing the genre to its limits.
9.2.2019 (SAT): Film talk with Derek Lam
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.