Twin Sisters of Kyoto (Kyoto)
Dir: Nakamura Noboru
Japan, 1963, Japanese, 101min, 16mm, English subtitle
Cast: Iwashita Shima, Nagato Hiroyuki, Miyaguchi Seiji
The happiness of reunion, like the ephemeral beauty of cherry blossom, is doomed to fade away. Abandoned at birth due to a superstition about twins, Chieko, now a wealthy merchant’s daughter, and Naeko, a self-subsistent orphan, have their fateful encounter at the Gion festival, interweaving their lives briefly, only to part again. Boasted by a nuanced, mercurial dual performance by Iwashita Shima, this touching film is a tribute to Japan’s old capital, a nostalgic veneration to the traditional ideals to heart that no modernization can erase.
Academy Awards: Best Foreign Language Film nomination
The Beauty of Sadness: Kawabata Yasunari
Full House 19/04/2019 (Fri)
Full House 10/05/2019 (Fri)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.