Through a Glass Darkly (Såsom i en spegel)
Dir: Ingmar Bergman
Sweden, 1960, 89min, DCP
Cast: Harriet Andersson, Gunnar Björnstrand, Max von Sydow, Lars Passgard
The first of Bergman’s “Silence of God” Trilogy on faith and its loss. Recuperating on a remote island, Karin drifts in and out of lucidity as her father, husband and brother fail to save her from descending into the abyss of mental illness. The intense gaze of Harriet Andersson looks nowhere to find love but deep into a soul tortured by the disintegration of family and the intangibility of God’s presence. If God is love, can Karin find her resurrection?
1962 Academy Awards, Best Foreign Language Film
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.