Thousand Cranes (1969) (Senba zuru)
Dir: Masumura Yasuzo
Japan, 1969, Japanese, 96min, 35mm, English subtitle
Cast: Wakao Ayako, Kyo Machiko, Hira Mikijiro
Anchored by Wakao Ayako’s breathless despair and Kyo Machiko’s veritable specter, Masumura’s adaptation of Kawabata’s classic novel subverts the literary genre, spinning off from Yoshimura’s classical virtues. Shindo again contributes an intelligent script, throwing Kikuji into the sinister delight of fate as he falls into complications with his father’s two mistresses – a repulsion to purplish birthmark; and a yearning to a pathetic happiness. A complex transference in visual extravagance, infusing the tea cups with erotic desires, and the intrigue of Japanese souls.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.