Thousand Cranes (1953) (Senba zuru)
Dir: Yoshimura Kozaburo
Japan, 1953, Japanese, 110min, 35mm, English subtitle
Cast: Mori Masayuki, Kogure Michiyo, Otowa Nobuko, Sugimura Haruko
The moral shadings of Kawabata’s post-war masterpiece are illuminated by an ensemble of top-notch talents from the Golden Age of Japanese cinema – flamboyant direction by Yoshimura Kozaburo, concise screenplay by Shindo Kaneto, and awe-inspiring cinematography by Miyagawa Kazuo. The beauty of tea ceremony is transcended into an allusion of erotic obsession in an enthralling story about a young man who stumbles into a passionate yet destructive relationship with his late father’s mistress and her daughter. A world slowly disintegrating, a decadence so overpowering.
Blue Ribbon Awards: Best Cinematography
12.5 (SUN): Film Talk with William Lau
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.