The Wild Blue Yonder
Dir: Werner Herzog
Germany/UK, 2006, English, 81min, DCP
Cast: Brad Dourif, Donald Williams, Ellen Baker
A “science fiction fantasy” that stands with the likes of Fata Morgana (1971) and Lessons of Darkness (1992) as Herzog’s best efforts at smudging the lines between reality and fiction. Brad Dourif is an alien from the Wild Blue Yonder, who came to earth many years ago in a failed mission of colonization. Meanwhile, NASA astronauts arrive at the planet which he once abandoned in a doomed exploration. In a mix of footage filmed aboard shuttle missions and stunning photography of the underwater world in Antarctica, Herzog crafts his own realism of a documentary in a deranged splendor of sound and vision.
2005 Venice Film Festival, FIPRESCI Prize
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.