The Whimsical World of Zbigniew Rybczynski
Dir: Zbigniew Rybczynski
Poland, 1973-1980, 61min
A garden of earthly delights from the innovative filmmaker-animator Zbigniew Rybczynski who became the first Pole to win an Academy Award, for the exquisitely choreographed everyday movements constituting his 1980 Tango. In a global career over decades, Rybczynski played with sound, color, repetition and fragmentation – saturating bodies in haunting vignettes (Soup, 1974), fracturing the screen into kaleidoscopic stories (New Book, 1975) or reframing screens and motion (Media, 1980). The director’s hand seems quicker than our eyes, happily embroiling us, too, in his surreal visions.
Tango – Academy Awards: Best Short Film, Animated
Absurdistan: The Central and Eastern European Cinema of the Absurd
Buy ticket 22/04/2019 (Mon)
Buy ticket 25/05/2019 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.