The Virgin Spring (Jungfrukällan)
Dir: Ingmar Bergman
Sweden, 1960, 89min, DCP
Cast: Max von Sydow, Birgitta Valberg, Gunnel Lindblom, Birgitta Pettersson
Inspired by a medieval Scandinavian folk ballad, Bergman transcends a brutal morality tale into an existential examination of religious faith. The violent rape and murder of an innocent girl in a doomed journey to the church, along with the subsequent brutal vengeance on the evil herdsmen by her father, lead to a contemplation of God’s cruel whims. Bergman won his first Oscar for this compelling and emotionally draining film shot in austere simplicity, taking us to a tranquil and haunting ending, where redemption may eventually be found.
1961 Academy Awards, Best Foreign Language Film
10.6.2018 (SUN): Post-screening seminar with Long Tin and Geoffrey Wong
Free Admission. Conducted in Cantonese
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.