The Truth (La vérité)
Dir: Henri-Georges Clouzot
France/Italy, 1960, 127min, DCP
Cast: Brigitte Bardot, Charles Vanel, Sami Frey
Love. Death. Bardot. A courtroom debate over murder – premeditation or passion? – reveals the history of a tumultuous love between Dominique (Brigitte Bardot) and Gilbert (Sami Frey). Stealing Gilbert from her own sister, she rejects the stability he offers, but later trying to win him back with threats of her suicide – coincided with her real-life suicide attempt following an affair with her co-star Frey. In film as in life, only to react as a woman scorned – or a woman in love? We must decide alongside the court, in this stormy, sensual drama.
1961 Golden Globe Awards, Best Foreign Film
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.