The Trial of Joan of Arc (Procès de Jeanne d'Arc)
Dir: Robert Bresson
France, 1962, 65min, 35mm
Cast: Florence Delay, Jean-Claude Fourneau
A foundational story of French identity with complicated questions of God and nation. Bresson follows the narrative of the country maid led by God to save France as a knight but brought down by prejudice and treachery. Yet, he reinvents it through his use of non-professional actors and his negation of actorial artifice (for which he condemned Carl Dreyer’s 1928 version of the story) in the quest for spiritual truth, on and off screen.
1962 Cannes Film Festival, Special Jury Prize
Post-screening seminar with Long Tin and Li Cheuk-to
Filmmakers on Bresson_Andrei Tarkovsky, From Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
Filmmakers on Bresson_Jacques Rivette, From Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.