The Treasure (Nidhanaya)
Dir: Lester James Peries
Sri Lanka, 1972, Sinhalese, 110min, DCP, English subtitles
Cast: Coranelis Appuhamy, Kumarasinghe Appuhamy, Saman Bokalawala
“It was in New Delhi, a black-and-white film with no subtitles. What stayed with me to this day was the boundless sense of loneliness that stretched the full length of the screen, and beyond. I had no idea which film it was, but thinking back I believe it was The Treasure . Many years later I had the good fortune to watch a few more works of Lester James Peries at Fukuoka International Film Festival, and the even greater fortune to meet him in person. It moved me deeply.” – 19th HKIFF, A Tribute to Lester James & Sumitra Peries
27.1.2019 (SUN): Film talk with Thomas Shin
Restored in 2013 by the Film Foundation’s World Cinema Project at Cineteca di Bologna/L’Immagine Ritrovata laboratory. In association with Lester James and Sumitra Peries, the National Film Archive of India and the National Film Corporation of Sri Lanka, Cinemas Ltd. Additional restoration elements provided by Degeto Films. Restoration funding provided by Doha Film Institute.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.