The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (Kaguyahime no monogatari)
Dir: Isao Takahata
Japan, 2013, 137min, DCP
Takahata’s final animated fable, eight years in the making, is a masterpiece of utmost beautiful fantasia and solitary meditation. Adapting the famous Japanese folklore, the celebrated artist takes hand-drawn animation to new heights of impressionistic fluidity. In charcoal lines and watercolored hues, the elegiac tale of the princess from the moon is unfolded, and morphed into a sophisticated allegory on the folly of materialism and the evanescence of beauty. In his stark realism threaded with imagination, Takahata left behind a shining grace for Princess Kaguya, and an inspiring legend that lives on through his timeless animations.
© 2013 Hatake Jimusho-GNDHDDTK
2015 Academy Awards, nomination for Best Animated Feature Film
18.6.2018 (MON): Post-screening talk with Thomas Shin
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.