The Sword of Doom (Dai-bosatsu tôge)
Dir: Okamoto Kihachi
Japan, 1966, 120min, 35mm
Cast: Mifune Toshiro, Nakadai Tatsuya,Kayama Yuzo
“The sword is the soul. An evil sword is an evil soul.” Shimada (Mifune Toshiro), the samurai teacher, tells the bloodthirsty savage swordsman Ryunosuke (Nakadai Tatsuya), who moves through the world slaying enemies and the innocents with no remorse or empathy. Completely shaken by the nobility and physical prowess of Shimada, he loses his self confidence and is possessed by illusion and insanity. A climactic sequence of the wholesale carnage is in the final seven minutes, as the doomed killer, now clearly deranged, singlehandedly takes on an entire army of assassins.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.