The Silence (Tystnaden)
Dir: Ingmar Bergman
Sweden, 1963, 95min, DCP
Cast: Ingrid Thulin, Gunnel Lindblom, Birger Malmsten, Håkan Jahnberg
Silence befalls on two sisters in the final powerful chapter of Bergman’s trilogy on faith. In a dismal journey to a foreign country near war, alienation intensifies between the intellectual Ester and the sensual Anna, as her young son Johan grapples with identity, death and jealousy. Scandalous for its sexual provocation at the time, the film is equally exasperating in challenging a world deserted by God, leaving behind a woman on her deathbed alone, and a child on an emotional isolation with a doomed future.
2.9.2018 (SUN): Post-screening seminar with Lau Yam and Kiki Fung
Venue: Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema
Free Admission. Conducted in Cantonese.
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.