Dir: Jerzy Skolimowski
UK, 1978, 86min, DCP
Cast: Alan Bates, Susannah York, John Hurt
The sonic terror of this visionary horror oddity remains the most unnerving epitome of sound design in cinema. This weird and dark story follows an avant-garde musician and his wife, whose tranquil life is disturbed by the sudden arrival of a stranger who claims to possess aboriginal magic and the power to perform a shout that can kill. Skolimowski transforms the inarticulate scream of the Pope in Francis Bacon’s painting into an expressive shout of fear and pain magnified by the Dolby stereo system, creating one of the most eerie and overwhelming filmic experiences.
1978 Cannes Film Festival, Grand Prize of the Jury
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.