The Shawshank Redemption
Dir: Frank Darabont
USA, 1994, 142min, DCP
Cast: Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Bob Gunton
Prison as parable. This powerful story, based on Stephen King’s novella, balances our expectations for the prisoner genre with strong Messianic imagery and hellish characters and situations. At the center of the story stand Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins), a banker wrongly jailed for the murder of his wife and her lover, and “Red” Redding (Morgan Freeman) a convict smuggler who becomes his lifelong friend. Amidst a world of mortal assaults and strategies for survival, under the malevolent eye of the corrupt Warden Norton, the story tunnels through intertwining subplots and complex characters over decades. With hope pinned on a distant dream of a pristine beach in Mexico. A film that has grown in critical appreciation over decades.
1995 Academy Awards, 7 nominations including Best Picture
1996 Kinema Junpo Awards, Best Foreign Language Film
3.11.2018(SAT): Post-screening talk with Bobby Kwok
Back to the Screen
Full House 03/11/2018 (Sat)
Full House 16/12/2018 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.