The Seventh Seal (Det sjunde inseglet)
Dir: Ingmar Bergman
Sweden, 1957, 96min, DCP
Cast: Max von Sydow, Gunnar Björnstrand, Bibi Andersson, Gunnel Lindblom,
The seventh seal is broken and Death reveals. A medieval Swedish knight (Max von Sydow) returns home from the Crusades only to face a landscape of plague and despair. Confronted by Death, he forestalls his demise by challenging Death to a game of chess. A timeless masterpiece, Bergman’s stark black-and-white cinematography and morbid images offer the perfect visual metaphor about the silence of God and the horror of death. The danse macabre transcends into a rich philosophical allegory of mortality that remains the most haunting cinematic symbolism even today.
1957 Cannes Film Festival, Special Jury Prize
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.