The Prayer (La prière)
Dir: Cédric Kahn
France, 2018, 107min, DCP
Cast: Anthony Bajon, Damien Chapelle, Alex Brendemühl
Addicted, the shy Thomas washes up in a religious sanctuary at the French Alps. While prayers and hard labor seem fail to kick his drug habit, the romantic encounter with the beautiful daughter of a charitable family invigorates his rehabilitation. In captivating cinematography of majestic landscapes and weathered faces, Cédric Kahn’s Berlin competition entry explores the crude uphill battle faced by junkies on the path to recovery. A poignant character study of an addict transforming from a lost vagrant into an atoning altar boy – a true believer, or if Catholicism simply another form of addiction?
2018 Berlin International Film Festival, Silver Bear for Best Actor
Full House 25/08/2018 (Sat)
Tickets available at screening venue on screening date 28/08/2018 (Tue)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.