The Portrait of a Lady
Dir: Jane Campion
UK/USA, 1996, English, 144min, 35mm
Cast: Nicole Kidman, John Malkovich, Barbara Hershey
One of the most loved and tragic characters, Isabel Archer is painted from a different lush palette in Campion’s portrait that Henry James’ admirers must see. Turning down the proposal of a “too right” man, Isabel embarks on a grand tour in Europe, only to place herself in a cage through marriage to a manipulative, spirit-sapping artist. Nicole Kidman shines as the young American, who is too much inspired by idealism to see the camouflage of John Malkovich, her seducer. A feminist response to Scorsese’s The Age of Innocence (1993), there is no denying the intelligence and beauty in Campion’s dark and mysterious interpretation.
1997 USA National Society of Film Critics Awards, Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.