Dir: Robert Altman
USA, 1992, English, 119min, DCP
Cast: Tim Robbins, Greta Scacchi, Fred Ward
With the exception of Billy Wilder, it’s hard to find an American director other than Robert Altman who knows Hollywood inside out and – in glorious vengeance – dares to give a cold sardonic and highly critical look at the movie kingdom. A spectacle of an eight-minute, single-take opening shot panning the many faces in a film studio lands on a postcard with death threat to its God-like top executive Griffin (Tim Robbins). The amusing ridicule begins when he resorts to desperate measures to save both his life and his crumbling career. Dozens of recognizable stars play cameos, poking fun in some magnificent industry jokes in this timeless satire on the dream factory.
Cannes Film Festival: Best Director and Best Actor
10.2.2019 (SUN): Film talk with Ernest Chan
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.