Dir: Jane Campion
New Zealand/Australia/France, 1993, English, 117min, DCP
Cast: Holly Hunter, Anna Paquin, Harvey Keitel
A mute Scotswoman travels to New Zealand with her daughter for an arranged marriage, the piano becomes her only means of expression. That intimate pleasure is quickly sabotaged as her unresponsive husband abandons it, only to be taken by a macho local worker. Determined to reclaim her piano, she engages in an ambiguous game of flirtation and exploration. The first and only film by a female director to win the Palme d’Or, The Piano features an all-female creative lineup and a defiantly feminist approach, and it remains a breathtaking climax in filmmaking when female subjectivity takes center stage.
1993 Cannes Film Festival, Palme d’Or and Best Actress
1994 Academy Awards, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress and Best Writing (Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen)
Jane Campion, the Authentic Feminist
Tickets available at screening venue on screening date 21/04/2018 (Sat)
Full House 20/05/2018 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.