The Other Side of Hope (Toivon tuolla puolen)
Dir: Aki Kaurismäki
Finland, 2017, 100 mins, DCP
Cast: Sherwan Haji, Sakari Kuosmanen, Janne Hyytiäinen
From Le Havre (36th HKIFF), deadpan comedy master Aki Kaurismäki is back to his hometown Helsinki, bringing with him a fleeing Syrian who seeks asylum in his droll melancholy. Together with an old Finn who walks out on his alcoholic wife and buys a failing restaurant, the two misfits forge an unlikely friendship and navigate the adversities they face in the baffling new worlds. Covering a serious refugee story with unworldly absurdity, the Berlinale Best Director never fails to combine poignancy with torrents of laughter, like the taste of salted herring sushi loaded with wasabi, in a spicy critique against anti-immigrant prejudice.
2017 Berlin International Film Festival, Silver Bear for Best Director
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.