The Nights of Zayandeh-rood (Shabhaye Zayandeh-rood)
Dir: Mohsen Makhmalbaf
Iran, 1990, 65 mins, DCP
Cast: Manochehr Esmaeeli, Mozhgan Naderi, Parvaneh Gowharani
Censored for 26 years in Iran, Mohsen Makhmalbaf’s controversial 1990 critique of the society finally comes to light. A victim of oppression itself, the film centers on the struggles of an anthropologist and his daughter, who encounters different suicidal patients before, during and after the 1979 Islamic revolution. Despite being cut out 37 minutes of footage, the film remains highly critical of the new regime’s authoritarianism and suppression of women, and manages to be a rich meditation on love and violence even in this elliptical version. In a nation losing hope, love seems to be impossible…
2016 Venice Film Festival
19/8/2017 (Sat): Master Class with director Mohsen Makhmalbaf
28/8/2017 (Mon): Post-screening talk with Lau Yam
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.