The Magic Flute (Trollflöjten)
Dir: Ingmar Bergman
Sweden, 1975, 135min, DCP
Cast: Josef Köstlinger, Irma Urrila
Mesmerized by Mozart’s sense of wonder, Bergman adapts the fairy-life adventure of The Magic Flute – “a companion through life” as he called it – with a cheerful relish, in one of his warmest and most lighthearted films. In a replica of the baroque theatre, the classic tale of a prince who fights against sinister sorcerers and rescues the princess is unfolded with improbable special effects, juxtaposed with deliberate closeups of audience’s reactions. Its creativity and perfect combination of whimsical charm, childlike joy and genuine depth make it a revered opera film.
1975 USA National Society of Film Critics, Special Awards
1975 Golden Globe Awards, nomination for Best Foreign Language Film
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.