The King of Comedy
Dir: Martin Scorsese
USA, 1982, 109 mins, DCP
Cast: Robert De Niro, Jerry Lewis, Diahnne Abbott
Detached from reality as the disturbed taxi driver, Robert De Niro this time is a nerdish man who fantasizes getting a stand-up comedy slot in the late-night show hosted by the hugely popular comedian Jerry Lewis (The Nutty Professor). Getting rejected repeatedly, he resolves to kidnap Jerry with another fanatic stalker and takes the stage. What Roger Ebert once called “one of the most arid, painful, wounded movies I’ve ever seen” has over the years proved itself to be one of Scorsese’s finest films, influencing a generation of filmmakers and creating the current vogue of “anti-comedy.” And sadly, this celebrity satire is more pertinent today than ever.
1984 BAFTA Awards, Best Original Screenplay
The King of Comedy, From 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay Schneider (N.Y: Barron’s, 2003)
The King of Comedy, From For Keeps: 30 Years at the Movies by Pauline Kael (New York: Plume, 1996.)
The King of Comedy, From “Defining Moments in Movies – The Greatest Films, Stars, Scenes, and Events that Made Movie Magic” (NY, 2007)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.