Dir: John Woo
1989, Cantonese, 111min, DCP
Cast: Chow Yun-fat, Danny Lee, Sally Yeh
John Woo’s poetic bromance of honor and death that brings him to Hollywood and became one of the gods for Quentin Tarantino. The lives of the ultimate hitman, Ah Jong (Chow Yun-fat) and the consummate Hong Kong police detective Li Ying (Danny Lee) become deeply intertwined in bullets and brotherhood as Jong postpones retirement to redeem his only failure – accidentally blinding nightclub singer Jennie (Sally Yeh). Jong’s quest, though, is challenged by Triad gunmen leading to Woo’s immortal choreographic climax of violence in a church that thrills, and exhausts but offers little redemption.
1990 Hong Kong Film Awards, Best Director and Best Film Editing
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.