The French Connection
Dir: William Friedkin
USA, 1971, 104min, DCP
Cast: Gene Hackman, Roy Scheider, Fernando Rey
The greatest chase scene alone is sufficient in making this thriller a timeless classic, yet its electrifying achievement is much more than its striking action sequences. The exhilarating performance from Oscar Best Actor Gene Hackman compels audience to identify with a vicious, bigoted New York cop, whose obsession and actions in capturing the drug smugglers subvert ethical resolution. Drawing its momentum from hard-edged realism and pseudo-documentary aesthetic, William Friedkin mixes “gritty authenticity” with movement, violence and suspense in a complicated plot that is at once physically stimulating and psychologically frightening. Sweeping five Oscars, The French Connection has set a style that becomes a staple of neo-noir and the crime thriller genre.
1972 Academy Awards, Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Editing
10.6.2018 (SUN): Post-screening talk with Bryan Chang
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.