The Enigma of Kasper Hauser
Dir: Werner Herzog
West Germany, 1974, 109 mins, DCP
Cast: Bruno S., Walter Ladengast, Brigitte Mira
“Every man for himself and God against all”, the film’s German title seems to summarize Kaspar’s thinking. Locked in the cellar for 18 years, the “wildman” becomes a public sensation when he ventures into a society that wishes to civilize him. A mysterious attack ends his life, with his origin never discovered and the hostility towards him never explained. Once a mental patient, Bruno S. perfectly fits into Kaspar’s role in one of Herzog’s most fascinating films, a bizarre but real story that gives an unforgettable, dreamlike meditation on the nature of civilization and the fine line between sanity and madness.
1975 Cannes Film Festival, Grand Prize of the Jury, FIPRESCI Prize, Prize of the Ecumenical Jury
Werner Herzog, the Manic Genius
Door Tickets Available at the Venue on Screening Date 27/01/2018 (Sat)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.