The English Patient
Dir: Anthony Minghella
USA／UK, 1996, English, 162 min, DCP
Cast: Ralph Fiennes, Juliette Binoche, Willem Dafoe, Kristin Scott Thomas
Lush and star-filled adaptation of Michael Ondaatje’s complex, multi-layered novel, vividly evoking fleeting experiences and memories of lost love in times of war. Moving between the present in an isolated Italian monastery and the past at a Libyan oasis, we are drawn into the fateful triangle of an elegant British woman (Kristin Scott Thomas), her aviator husband (Colin Firth) and her lover (Ralph Fiennes), a cartographer who is mapping the Sahara in an expedition. Both passion and revenge shimmer through the stories of one survivor, horribly burnt, who recounts them to a nurse (Juliette Binoche), as she struggles to make sense of her own affections. Winner of 9 Academy Awards including Best Picture.
9 Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actress, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, etc.
Berlin International Film Festival: Best Actress
8/2 (SAT): Film talk with William Lau
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.