The End of Summer
Dir: Ozu Yasujiro
Japan, 1961, 103min
Cast: Nakamura Ganjiro, Hara Setsuko, Tsukasa Yoko
In their six-film collaborations, Ozu continued to refine the “Hara Setsuko” figure as she matured. Their last film together sees her as a middle-aged widow committed to raising her child, and oblivious to any courtship. This is in contrast with her father’s impulsive surrender to the worldly joys as he reunites with his ex-lover, and her sister’s modern attitude towards romance. Ozu’s light comedy contemplates chance and transient passion, with Hara as the true center of the film completely content in the face of an ever-changing world, perfecting her transcendental presence in the Ozu universe. There is no better conclusion to this enduring creative collaboration, replete with profound mutual understanding and appreciation.
Hara Setsuko Forever
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.