The Day After (Geu-hu)
Dir: Hong Sang-soo
South Korea, 2017, 92 mins, DCP
Cast: Kwon Hae-hyo, Kim Min-hee, Kim Sae-byuk, Cho Yun-hee
With the rare distinction of having two films featured in the Cannes official selection, Hong Sang-soo puts a brisk, wintry monochrome to The Day After, in contrast to the sunny breeze in Claire’s Camera, in his sketch about infidelity and mistaken identity. Hong’s muse Kim Min-hee plays a bright and sensitive writer who suffers for her boss’ affair, being assaulted by his wife on her very first day of work. A Rohmeresque world of talk reveals the boss’ selfishness and emotional fragility. Through his doppelgänger, Hong continues to examine mosaic of human flaws and contradictory impulse, over lashings of alcohol.
2017 Cannes Film Festival, In Competition
Package Discount: 20% discount to each purchase of standard tickets of both The Day After & Claire’s Camera
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.