Dir: Alfred Hitchcock
USA, 1963, 119min, DCP
Cast: Rod Taylor, Tippi Hedren, Jessica Tandy
An apocalyptic tale about our fine-feathered friends turning against humans with a series of deadly attacks at a scenic coastal town in Northern California. On one level, The Birds is polished top-notch entertainment – a chilling end-of-the-world horror story (personified by the Bible-quoting drunk at the neighborhood restaurant), laced with black humor – but on closer inspection there is an abundance of Hitchcock’s cinematic preoccupations: the beautiful cool blonde, the charming bachelor unwilling to commit to a relationship, a complex mother-son bond, obsession and jealousy, and a loss of control over one’s personal environment.
#7 in American Film Institute‘s 100 Year… 100 Thrills in 2001
Alfred Hitchcock – The American Years : Pure Cinema
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.